Am I Eligible to Enter?
If you can tick all of the below boxes, you are eligible:
- My company has at least one female founder
- My company is UK registered with a trading base in Scotland
- My company fits into one of the categories: MedTech and Science; FinTech and Cyber Security; CleanTech and Climate; or Disruptive Innovation (If you are in any doubt, contact firstname.lastname@example.org to check)
- My company has a female founder that will be available to present our pitch at the semi-finals during the week commencing 24 February 2020 and our finals during the week commencing 23 March 2020. (We will confirm the date and venue for these as soon as possible)
I haven’t started trading yet. Can I still enter?
Absolutely. However, you should have a Minimum Viable Product (MVP) as a minimum.
How do I enter?
Prepare a 3-minute video pitch and upload it via our website and complete the short application form by 5pm on Friday the 20th of December.
What happens after I have submitted my video?
You will get an email from one of the Investing Women team to confirm that your entry has been received. The judges will then review the videos and the semi-finalists will be announced on Friday the 17th of January 2020. If you have been successful you will have to then submit a one-page executive summary by the 7th of February.
Semi-finalists will get an opportunity to attend a pitch coaching session with some of the Angels from Investing Women Angels the week commencing 20th February 2020.
The semi-finals will be held the week commencing 24th February where you will deliver a live pitch to the judges who will have the opportunity to ask you questions. The finalists will be announced at the semi-finals.
The finalists will have until the 13th of March 2020 to submit a business plan that our judges will read before the finals.
The final will be held the week commencing 23 March 2020 where a winner from each category will be selected by our panel of judges after hearing your pitch and asking questions.
What are the judges looking for?
The judges will be looking at the following areas:
- Market – Your knowledge of your target market and your route to market. Make sure your business model is clearly stated. Who are your competitors and how do you plan to compete?
- Scale – What is your potential and plan to scale your business? What international markets do you plan to target?
- Team – Do you have the right team to help you achieve your ambitions? Or do you know what skills you are lacking within your team and how you will source them going forward?
- Finance – Do you have a clear financial plan? Do you know your funding requirements?
- Technology – What is the technology behind your business? Do you have it protected? Can you prevent your competitors from copying you?
What should I put in my video?
Your 3-minute video should briefly cover all of the points listed above. It doesn’t have to be an Oscar worthy presentation. You can record it on your phone, just make sure that the sound and picture quality is clear. Keep an eye on our social media channels for more hints and tips over the coming weeks.
Can I enter the Rising Star Category?
The Rising Star is not a separate category. The judges will select a rising star from the semi-finalists. This will be a business that isn’t quite ready for the finals but shows potential for the future.
Will I get investment into my company if I am an AccelerateHER Award winner or finalist?
The awards do not guarantee you investment from our own or other angel investment groups. However, one of the objectives of the AccelerateHER Awards has always been to increase the visibility of scaleable female founded companies. Therefore the exposure you get during the process may help to you attract investment. Please see our founders page to learn more about the process for seeking investment.
What are the AccelerateHER Awards Categories?
Medtech and Science
Medical devices, cures for infectious diseases and life changing health management apps are just some of the ideas we would expect to see in this category. We are looking for businesses with life changing innovations for humans or animals.
FinTech and Cybersecurity
Do you have a platform that will change the face of banking and wider financial services? Have you developed a tool that will protect the most vulnerable of data from hackers? Then this category is for you.
CleanTech and Climate
This category is for companies that have found a way to replace plastic, reduce emissions or helping save the planet using technology.
If you don’t fit into one of the other 3 categories but you have a technology or service innovation that is set to disrupt your sector, then this category is for you.